Day Twenty-Eight: When Situations are Tight

It's actually been a pet peeve of mine. Things not getting your way. Actually, in hindsight, I'm willing to bet that it's a pet peeve of everyone. I'm sure no one appreciates their efforts being wasted, especially when there's so much to be done all the time.

In case my explanation had been too vague, I was referring to my Bites and Blogs situation. I've been giving myself a lot of leeway lately, and trying to say that since it's an anti-fast-food campaign, it's perfectly fine to indulge every now and then. Unfortunately, this creates some pretty dramatic scenes for myself, and these don't usually play out very well.

For instance, today I was in a situation where dinner's only option was pizza. It was either eat the cheesy dough or skip a meal. Since I really didn't want this entire campaign getting out of hand, I ate the pizza. And it was delicious, so no regrets there. It's just that I get apprehensive -- what if I'm ever faced in a situation where there really is no other choice? For instance, I'm lost in the city during my 100 days and there's only fast food restaurants everywhere I go? Or I only have enough money for a fast food restaurant, which happens to be the only option I have for lunch that day? Do I skip or do I take the food?

Yes, I'm making this far too big of a deal, but I'd like to analyze this situation more in the future. The best way out of a situation like that is to simply choose not to take the food and to eat beforehand. I've heard of vegans doing this whenever they go out to eat at a restaurant that's not known to cater vegan dishes, as most restaurants happen to be. Ignoring the reason why a vegan would be at a restaurant if they couldn't eat anything there, perhaps the best idea would be to simply ask the server to bring something more to their tastes. Then, of course, there's the awkward situation where you have no idea how rude you may be portraying yourself. It's a clever conundrum, indeed.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. When situations are tight, do you suck things up, get your way, or take the middle road and prepare for the worst? If I know anything, though, it's that Murphy's Law is pretty reliable: If there's anything that can go wrong, it will go wrong.

Breakfast: Hard-boiled egg, Greek yogurt with cinnamon and nutmeg
Lunch: Turkey and lettuce wrap, grapefruits
Dinner: Pizza (It wasn't fast food, so I'm still on track.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment